Intent for Reading
As part of our Gold Level Rights Respecting School, our intent is to ensure that every child receives a well-rounded learning experience and becomes a fluent reader, a skilled writer and confident speaker, so that children can be the best that they can be and have aspirations of themselves now, and in the future.
It is our intention to immerse children in the wonders of quality texts to instil a love of reading, a passion for discovery and a confidence to explore and use their imagination in the world around them.
Our Reading Intent is:
- for our children to be the best readers that they can be as part of our Gold Level Rights Respecting School;
- to foster a curiosity and thirst for knowledge and understanding about the world in which we live;
- to promote reading for pleasure;
- to create positive reading attitudes;
- to apply their phonic knowledge as part of a wider range of reading strategies in order to become a fluent and confident reader;
- to broaden vocabulary through the use of and understanding of new words;
- to develop comprehension skills so that children can have an informed understanding of what they read, enabling them to participate in discussions about texts;
- that children understand the positive benefits of reading on their own wellbeing;
- to promote confidence and lifelong positive attitudes to reading through access to a wide range of literature and enthusiastic reading role models within our school and the wider community;
- to foster positive reading partnerships with parents and carers.
Year 1 Reading and Writing Overview
Year 2 Reading and Writing Overview
Year 3 Reading and Writing Overview
Year 4 Reading and Writing Overview
Year 5 Reading and Writing Overview
Year 6 Reading and Writing Overview
- Pupils of all abilities will experience success in all reading lessons;
- Pupils will have positive reading attitudes and read for pleasure;
- Pupils will apply their phonic knowledge as part of a wider range of reading strategies;
- Pupils will enjoy reading across a range of genres and text-types, and develop the resilience and skills to effectively decode, comprehend and appreciate a range of texts;
- Pupils will be fluent, demonstrate reading stamina, have a wide vocabulary and demonstrate understanding of what they read;
- Pupils will have a good knowledge of a range of authors;
- Pupils will demonstrate age-related expectations as part of being the best that they can be;
- Parents and carers will have a good understanding of how they can support reading at home, and contribute regularly to home-school records;
- Pupils will be ready to read in any subject in their forthcoming secondary education.
We Enjoy Reading!
Follow this advice on the Gov.uk website to help primary-aged children read at home:
Storytime at Home
Please contact the school for the password to access these videos